L.U.N.A. workshops were conceived and designed to address the increasing “negative” media/social media portrayal of girls and women. L.U.N.A. provides programs that uplift and encourage girls to make choices that encourage them, giving them confidence, courage and the ability to see all that is possible for their future. This, in turn, results in them becoming positive contributors to our society. The workshops provide a safe and supportive environment to build self-esteem. The girls will participate in experiential learning activities as they are guided through their discoveries of self-empowerment.
This interactive workshop is designed to have girls develop positive self-images. Girls participate in instruction that leads them through discussions, cooperative learning activities and the creation of a vision board.
- Identify images that are perceived as beautiful and discuss why.
- Engage in an activity, “Think Pair Share”, to define beauty, what qualities do they each have that they consider beautiful.
- Examine the definition of “beauty” and acknowledge how they view beauty.
- Design, create, and share a “Beautiful Me” posters (a visualization tool: reflective of each individual’s beauty)
*Belief v. Fact
This interactive workshop that will examine general popular culture beliefs and the effect they have on the esteem of young girls.
- Discuss cultural/popular beliefs and facts.
- Be guided to determine what is fact and what is a belief.
- Participate in a cooperative activities that will closely examine beliefs v facts, such as Role Play: Given scenarios, girls will create skits guided by a facilitator to create real life examples to explore as a group.
- Identify beliefs about themselves and create a visual tool that has positive affirmations about themselves to assert positive beliefs they’ve discovered.
This experiential workshop is designed to encourage girls to make choices that fortify a positive self-image.
- Discuss everyday decisions that young girls are faced with.
- Sharing the choices participants have had to make.
- Cooperative learning activity.
- Affirmation to forward and to support the outcome of the activity.
This interactive workshop deals with bullying and how to develop ways to promote positive interactions for yourself and others.
- Identify when they’ve been treated badly and/or discuss how they’ve felt when someone is bullied.
- Identify how they interact with others.
- Identify their strengths and how to use them to promote positive behaviors.
- Role play to become aware of how “we” can make others feel while acknowledging how “we” feel about “ourselves”.
- Creation of affirmations: “Let Your Light Shine” worksheet to promote healthy relationships and self-image.
This interactive workshop discusses body image and how to take care yourself. This helps girls be comfortable with themselves inside and out.
- Address media images of girls and women
- Identify what makes feel comfortable
- Discuss how to promote positive relationships with other girls about their “style”
- Nutrition and a healthy way of life
- Create “My Body” puppets to remind them of what works best for them
There are some adjustments to the activities for each workshop based on the age group. All workshops are led by an experienced facilitator of social-emotional learning.
*All workshops can be done at your location and are adjusted to meet the needs of girls in any age group.
Suggested age group breakdown:
- 6-8 yrs
- 12-14 yrs
- 18+ yrs